Friday, June 24, 2011

Capturing Kid's Hearts

Despite the negative outlook of having to give up a week of my well earned summer vacation, I was somewhat looking forward to the Capturing Kid's Hearts retreat with my coworkers. Vidor ISD was big on it when I was there, and I was excited to have the opportunity to get to attend, even though again, I was slightly bitter because it was in the summer, and work-related anything was not what I wanted to be thinking about after the year I'd just barely completed.

But it was definitely worth it. I didn't expect it to be so heartfelt and emotional, but again it was a room of mostly women, so I shouldn't have been surprised. By the end of the three days, I had a totally knew perspective of how my classroom should have been last year and the many places where I could have really changed the dynamic of my room by employing very logical and loving techniques. The object wasn't to change the kids, but to change my approach to the classroom environment and my daily attitude in general.

As our trainer, Karen, continued to remind us, CKH isn't a Magic Pill to fix all our problems, but an amazing tool which makes negatives turn into positives when used correctly. I certainly have a lot to think about right now, both personally and professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment