Saturday, September 26, 2009

Warm and Fuzzy Evaluations

I think my nerves are officially gone with regards to being observed (at least until the principal observes me). My observations couldn't have gone any more smoothly if I'd scripted them. The first was Tuesday when Mrs. Fleming observed me in preparation for my LSCO observation the following day. My lesson that day was still "Statements versus Questions" - but each day we focused on a different question word. Tuesday was 'who.' I taught them "Who stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar?" and put the words to the verse up on the Smartboard so the kids could each come up and manipulate the verse before we got started. I had them identify the questions and statements in the verse, highlight keywords and punctuation marks, and then fill in their names as the person who stole the cookie when it was their turn. They seemed to really enjoy it - though it was probably more the opportunity to use the smartboard than it was my lesson :) Either way, the lesson went really well, and I was quite pleased. I, of course, have things to work on - but I expect to have things to work on throughout my career. I don't ever want to stop getting better :)

Wednesday, my official eval, was perfect :) Mrs. Dixon even told Mrs. Fleming she should take a 9 week vacation and just let me have her classroom. I have to admit that felt pretty nice. She gave me a perfect score, which I'm grateful for, but don't feel I deserve. I don't by any means think I'm perfect.

However, during the whole process, I think the most rewarding part was when two of the students looked up at me during their Independent Practice and looked at me with really wide eyes, saying "Miss. Simpson - I GET IT!" And they did - going from making a 20 on a worksheet to making a 100 on a worksheet - without my assistance. That moment and many more to come are why I know I'm where I should be. I can't tell you how warm it felt to know I'd helped them understand something they'd been struggling with. They have even shown that they can transfer the knowledge to other worksheets and settings - the sign that they really did get it and weren't just memorizing answers on a worksheet. Way to go, boys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment