Monday, July 26, 2010

The World Famous San Diego Zoo

It was everything I'd dreamed it would be and more!

Though our day started out rough with a nail in the front passenger tire of our rental car, we did eventually trade out the car and make it to the zoo. Poor Hilary had to listen to me squeal and take a million pictures at the entrance before we even made it into the zoo :) I was so excited to finally see the zoo's sign that I'd seen when I was a little girl, I think I might have hyperventilated a bit.

First of all, the zoo is beyond huge! And of course, I wanted to see everything; it was so hard to decide what to see first. However, what we saw first was most unexpected - a peacock, not in a cage, but sitting freely on top of the ticket booth making a very loud and obnoxious squawk (which Hilary can immitate perfectly, by the way.) Apparently there are three or four of these Indian peacocks that wander the zoo freely making their highly annoying and LOUD "may-awe, may-awe" noise. (Again, ask Hil :) We ran into these guys several times: one was eating a Skittle, another was trying to sneak into the gift shop by the entrance - but the best was the one posing with his plummage open for everyone. I mean, literally posing. Wherever the groups of cameras were, he would slowly circle around to face them. Like he knew he was beautiful and wanted to make sure everyone got a great shot! I took a few pictures standing next to him.

We got lost amidst the monkeys several times en route to the tigers and hippos. Sadly, the tiger was hiding from us, but we did see the pygmy hippos, and I so wanted to hug them :)



My favorites? Hmmmm...that's tough. Of course I love the elephants. The ones at the Zoo are the older elephants, and from what I could see they were all Asian elephants. You could look at their faces and tell they were older, but still adorable! I wanted to play with them so bad! The zookeeper even got one of them (Mary) to trumpet for us! We watched them eat and play for a while. Then we moved on to the giraffes.

I think the giraffes enjoyed the crowd that they ensue as well - at least the seemed to look at the camera it was pointed at them. Unless there was food involved. One of the zookeepers came out and fed them "giraffee snacks" while we were there. Apparently Thursdays - Sundays there are certain times that you can go and feed the giraffes for $3 or so. Darn that we went on Wednesday! Anyway, we still got to watch them line up fore cookies, which is hilarious considering their size.

The pandas! Apparently, the SDZ is one of the few zoos which has a successful giant panda conservation program, since several have been born at the facility since 1987 when they began the program. We got toe see baby Yun Zi who will turn one on August 5 this year. He is currently only 48 pounds and unbelievable adorable. He's still very uncertain of himself and is extremely curious. He loves to climb the trees in the exhibit and will do just about anything for a red apple, just like his mamma. We saw three of the adult females and this adorable little guy :)

I only took about a million photos - ok, 724, but who's counting? So clearly I can't post them all. Needless to say, I hope that I can go back to the SDZ some day! It was so worth the trip and to know that there are places doing so much to protect our endangered animals.



My last on the list of favorites has to be the meerkats. They run around like crazy and get the greatest looks on their faces. Both the zoo and the Wild Animal Park had a meerkat manor, but we spent more time at the one in the zoo. These guys are hams for the camera. Several of them would stop and look at me while I took a picture, then scurry off after I put the camera down. Can't say they aren't used to being adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment